LCFC Web Tender, Redevelopment & Vendor Management
2016 will be remembered by most LCFC fans as the year they won their first Premier League title, however it also saw the beginning of a long-term digital transformation project; The digital strategy we set with the club began with fixing the foundations: outdated and buggy web platforms. This presented an opportunity to achieve the Club’s wider strategic vision for a truly unified digital fan experience; It led to a decision to renew their underlying ticketing, e-commerce, CRM and business intelligence technology platforms at the same time in order to drive ROI; As the club’s primary digital partner, Seven League was tasked with delivering this strategic vision
In a unique and expansive project, Seven League ran multiple tender processes simultaneously to redevelop LCFC’s entire web ecosystem from scratch:
- We worked with the club to define their specific requirements from each of the vendors – the features, functionality and full scope of the work;
- We appointed and integrated 5 vendors in just a 5-month development window;
- We helped deliver lcfc.com, Ticketing & Hospitality, ecommerce, retail EPOS and inventory management and Single Sign On, CRM and the Business Intelligence systems that link them all together;
While that was an achievement in itself - virtually no other football club in Europe had done this - it was the subsequent commercial value the platforms delivered that made the project really special.
- At launch, LCFC were one of only 3 European clubs to have SSO across brand, ticketing and ecommerce sites;
- Online share of ticket sales jumped to 60% from 22%;
- Ecommerce conversion rates up from <2% to >4%, with particular impact on mobile. Previously mobile traffic was 48% of traffic but only 22% of revenue. That's now 72% of traffic and 53% of revenue;
- Retail rewards scheme runs across; Fanstore & ecommerce, enabling the club to replace flat discounts with cashback equivalents, redeemable against future purchases - keeping that revenue within the club;
- LCFC are now one of just 5-6 European clubs to run Catalogue marketing on Facebook for retail (managed by 7L), consistently returning revenues ~15x ad spend;
- 150,000 registered digital members (free) through SSO;
- Commendations at Football Business Awards & Sports Tech Awards;
As we approach the 3-year anniversary of this project, we are looking afresh at LCFC’s tech stack, to ensure it’s fit for 2020 and beyond.